Effective brand management is the key to developing products and communication strategies that lead to marketing success. Strong brands earn loyalty, add value and convey change.
This course is designed to give a fundamental understanding of what is a brand and how to create, measure and manage successful brand strategies and integrated communication plans, with focus on online paid media.
It explains how to define and position a brand and communicate the brand effectively internally, to employees, and externally, via owned, earned and paid media.
During the course the following topics will be discussed:
- Definition of Brand; Vision, Mission and Brand Personality;
- Brand Value Proposition, PODs and POPs;
- Target Audience and Buyer Personas;
- Brand Identification System;
- Brand Equity and Brand Audit;
- Brand Management, Brand Portfolio, Brand Extension and Co-Branding;
- Brand Choreography and The Customer Journey;
- Owned, Earned & Paid Media;
- Paid media scenario in Italy;
- Characteristics of TV, print, Out-Of-Home, radio and cinema advertising media;
- Online advertising (display, programmatic, native with focus on Google Ads and Facebook Business);
- The traditional planning metrics (contacts,reach%, frequency and GRP's) and the digital ones (impressions, CTR, CPM, CPC);
- The media planning process;
- Media buying and negotiation techniques;
- How to determine a communication budget and how to measure advertising effectiveness.
Together with a range of branding and media planning theories, the course will focus on real-world cases and experiences, to give students a practical vision of what it means to manage a brand, plan and buy an advertising campaign and what are the critical aspects to consider.
Student are expected to participate in class with project works on real cases, alone and in teams, and to present their work to the classroom. Formative assessment and knowledge check will be carried out during the course.
Upon completing this course, students will be capable of:
- Setting up a brand positioning with vision, mission, brand personality and tone of voice
- Manage the naming, logo and visual identity design process
- Design a communication plan choosing among owned, earned and paid media
- Understanding how media operate from the perspective of the advertiser
- Weighting up media audience data reliability based on how they are collected (and on online viewability considerations)
- Evaluating different media on the basis of the key media planning and buying metrics (contacts, reach & frequency, GRP’s, C/GRP’S, impressions, CPM, etc.)
- Setting up a Google Ads and a Facebook Business campaign
- Setting up a communication budget knowing which data are needed
- Understanding which kind of data and researches are needed for assessing the brand equity and the advertising campaign effectiveness